Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Rock 'n' Roll Compost

Oh, good golly Miss Molly! After tracking the package from New Jersey to California, our EcoComposter arrived Monday afternoon. Somewhat to our surprise, it was in a smaller box than we had expected.

"I think there's going to be some assembly required." said my wife jokingly.

That night after dinner, my daughter and I embarked on the task of constructing our Ball-O-Compost. We were able to assemble the panels for half of the ball that night (time for night-night). The next afternoon, after arriving home from work, we started in again. I have to say, that I think my daughter is absolutely brilliant. She was helping me put the rivets in the plates. Despite all of her help, it still took me almost 6-hours to construct the ball, and two bases.

The base, seen here with my daughter, is designed so the ball rests on six caster wells. This make rolling the ball around on the base super easy. Although I finished building everything around 10 o'clock (well after my little helper had gone to the land of nod), I was not going to join her until I had filled the ball with the materials we had been saving over the past several weeks.

The instructions recommend turning the ball once a day, that is exactly what I did when I got home. Very very easy. Now, we will see if I can make compost without it busting into fire or smelling like a landfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment