Sunday, June 13, 2010

Make Sure To Stop & Smell The Blossoms

Excited as to what new developments I might find, I made it a priority to walk through our garden this morning. Honestly, I was very curious if some of our zucchini were ready to be harvested, alas there are not. Instead I found one of the squash flowers open, which I can't ever remember seeing before; they've always been closed. Neat!







Zucchini Blossom

Dixie Summer Squash Blossom

Earlier last week, I transplanted both of our dixie summer squash plants, which were
inevitably going to be over taken by the Jolly Green Giant. I decided to move
them into the radishes old spot. After replanting them, I trimmed back the larger of the two, and snipped off its first blossom, hoping that would help. The days following were looking a little sketchy, with the leaves looking all droopy, but this morning we have a new blossom. I think there is hope yet.



Cucumber Blossom






Also flowering for the first time are our cucumber plants, actually just one of them. I'm sure that more are soon to follow. I'm looking forward to the possibility of making our own pickles from the cucumbers, I hope will coming soon. Pickling is something we've never done before, but sounds like something we can figure out. I sure like most things, you learn by doing.


New Trellis
Lastly, I wanted to showcase the pea trellis my daughter helped me construct with some left over pvc pipe, chicken wire, and zip-ties. The original trellis (which still remains) was quickly overgrown by the series of pea plants surrounding it. So, one morning I decided to construct an additional trellis, but things being the way that they are, did not want to spend much (if any) money to do so. Well, lucky for us, I had spent many afternoons
repairing the sprinklers along our driveway...oopps, and had about 12 feet of pvc pipe on hand. The chicken wire meshing has been hanging around our house, almost since we bought the place. I had used some of it to build my own dirt sieve. With MacGyver like mad skills (just kidding, I didn't use any duct tape) we constructed this simple "H" frame trellis. Very simple, works, and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment