Sunday, May 16, 2010

Getting Schooled

Broccoli:
Reading through the "Vegetable Gardener's Bible" tonight, I learned that planting broccoli coming into the summer months is way...way...way to early. Broccoli prefers cooler fall conditions, and soils with abundant amounts of boron, which I'm going to go out on limb here and say that our soil is lacking in boron.

Carrots:
Based on what I've read, it is likely that our carrot shave not started because either the soil temperatures have not been high enough (maybe?), or more likely, the area receives too much shade.

Peppers:
I think the reason that our pepper haven't taken off is due to soil temperatures. I think what I will do it build a mini-green house covering over the cells to help build higher soil temperatures. I think that this might be a worthy approach for the carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment