Friday, February 26, 2010

THEY'RE ALIVE!




Shortly after constructing our "green-closet" I planted some of the vegetables we plan to transfer into the garden this summer. I have to say, those peat pellets are not only fun, but make starting your seedlings very easy. After plumbing up the compressed disc-o-peat, I placed them into the cardboard carton (each carton holds ten pots). I wish all of the seed could have been organic, but we bought what we could (Next year, I think I might order seeds by catalog). So, let me share with you what I've started so far...

Vegetables
20 Pots - Ferry-Morse - Silver Queen Hybrid Sweet Corn
10 Pots - Burpee - Grandex Hybrid Vidalia Onion
6 Pots - Ferry-Morse - USDA Organic California Wonder Bell Pepper
4 Pots - Ferry-Morse - Red Cherry Tomatoes
4 Pots - Burpee - Super Beefsteak Tomatoes
4 Pots - Burpee - Green Goliath Broccoli
4 Pots - Ferry-Morse - USDA Organic Straight Eight Cucumber
4 Pots - Ferry-Morse - Black Turtle Bush Beans
2 Pots - Ferry-Morse - Dixie Hybrid Squash
2 Pots - Burpee - Triple Treat Pumpkin

HERBS
4 Pots - Ferry-Morse - USDA Organic Sweet Basil
2 Pots - Ferry-Morse - USDA Organic Bouquet Dill
2 Pots - Ferry-Morse - USDA Organic Moss Curled Parsley
2 Pots - Ferry-Morse - Oregano (apparently this variety didn't warrant a special variety name)

FRUIT
6 pots - Strawberries

Wow...and I still plan on planting more. Here in the not to distant future I would like to start:

More Corn
Spinach
Pole Beans
Soybeans
Chives
Chard
Kale
Radishes
Carrots
Peas
Beets
More Onions
Brussel Sprouts

Yeah I'm not over ambitious or anything.

Finally, last night we noticed that the corn and black bean pots began to sprout. Woo-Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment