Saturday, August 6, 2011

Cobbles, Gravel, and Bentonite...Oh My!

I apologize for starting out this post with a big yawn, but I am wiped out.  I spent most of my afternoon "renovating" our new garden real estate.  It's gonna be a crazy day when you have to bust out the ol' pick axe from the side of the house. I kind of felt like one of Snow Whites long lost dwarf (Oh, what I wouldn't have given to have the whole gang with me). Anyway, the plan was (actually still is, since I have more to do tomorrow) to break the new area up into thirds, break up and dig out the soil down about two and a half feet, sift it (separating the volcanic rock from the soil), returning it back to the garden, and layer in a bag of organic compost and a quarter of a bag of blood meal (per section). So, the score at the end of the day, me-2, native prehistoric pain-in-the-butt volcanic/bentonite mess - 1.  Yah, I'm tired and punchy, but feels great to get dirty. Promise to have pictures tomorrow.  Time to sleep...yeah!

1 comment: